History

The original homestead of the farm was at Gypsy Wood near Dunnington.  The farms acreage was around 147 and was sold in 1953.

The first land farmed at Fridlington Farms was that of Low Roans but the land wasn’t bought till 1941 and came to 306 acres.  After this first farm there were more to follow in very quick succession.  

 
Farm Year Acreage
 
Low Roans 1941 306
White Carr 1943 136
Plantation House 1945 305
Brown Moor 1946 206
Murton Farm & Eastmoor 1946 375
High Carr Wood 1946 66
High Roans House & High Carr 1946 446
Lilling Green 1953 273
Cornbrough Farm 1954 141
Hundred Acre 1960 54
Foss House 1963 119
High Roans Farm 1968 106
Goose Farm 1970 102
Laurence House Farm 1971 147
Westfield House Farm 1980 109


Goose Farm, Hundred Acre and Lilling Green were all sold in 2007 but since then a plot of land at Moor farm and Foss House has been bought in 2010 which amounts to 99 acres.

When J L Fridlington took over the farm land at Sutton-on-the-Forest in some instances a few of the farms were nearly derelict, the hedges were over grown and some of the land had not been drained at all or drains were blocked and soil was poor.

J L Fridlington used vast capital expenditure, careful husbandry and shear hard work to develope the farm.  Miles of farm roads were built to give easy access to cropping land.  Buildings were brought up to date and new ones erected.

In 1946 a total of 1,093 acres was bought up by Fridlington Farms, the reason for this sudden purchase of land is due to the end of WW2.  The original farms of Low Roans, Plantation House, Brown Moor and White Carr were based right next door to a Canadian Airbase used for bombers during the war; once the war drew to a close the old airfield came up for sale and it only made sense for J L Fridlington to purchase the land.

In 1958, the farms potato acreage sat at 300 which were sold to wholesalers and retailers through Mr.Fridlington’s own business as a merchant.  125 acres of sugar beet went to the local York factory with 75 acres of carrots and 8 acres of cabbages also grown.  Malting barley took up 465 acres, wheat 135 acres, rye 32 acres, oats 35 acres and mixed corn 33 acres.  

The rest of the land was put down to grass and used for fat cattle, which were sold to the fat stock market, 250 were sent yearly.  The stock was bred on the farm with a Hereford x Shorthorn or Friesian breed. Unfortunately the farm went out of cattle in 1986.

The farm also produced 750 to 1,000 pigs for bacon and pork annually.  This is a world away from the 23,000 we produce annually today.

In the 1950’s the farm had 48 full working male staff, 15 women staff and 12 polish part-timers.  The farm owned 3 combines, 1 threshing machine, 1 sugar beet lifter and 18 tractors.  Although the farm was highly mechanized the horse still had a place on the farms and there was more than 20 kept. 
 
© Copyright 2018 Fridlington Farms LtdWeb Design by Toolkit Websites